Super Yummy PB&Banana Smoothie

March 20, 2018


I recently shared on my Instagram Stories the trouble with letting smoothies or fresh juice replace a full meal. My first concern is always with the amount of sugar that may be present as most smoothies/juices are majority fruit. Even with the addition of vegetables, smoothies end up being high on carbs and very low in the other two macronutrients our body needs. In order to replace a complete meal all three macro-nutrients: fat, protein and carbs, must be present. 
You’ll hear me harp a lot about fat. For those of you trying to lose weight it may seem a little backwards but our bodies NEED fat to function despite what the diet food industry leads us to believe. This is why I never purchase anything claiming to be “light” or “low fat” because in order to make whatever it is taste good again or like itself again  (nothing tastes as good as fat) they add artificial shenanigans or sugar. Plus, vitamins A, E, D and K are all fat soluble meaning they need fat in order to be transported to the bloodstream. I don't know about you but baby girl doesn't eat vegetables for no reason. I need those nutrients all in this thang!


“Good Fat” ingredients you gotta get into:
-wild-caught seafood
-almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, etc.
-meat and dairy from grass-fed animals
-flaxseed
-chia seeds
-avocado
-coconut, olive or nut/seed oils (not vegetable oils like corn or soybean)



PEANUT BUTTER BANANA SMOOTHIE
½ scoop Vega Protein+Greens Vanilla Protein Powder (optional)
6oz water or almond milk
1tbsp peanut butter
3.5 oz. (half a small container) Fage Greek Yogurt
1 whole banana
½  avocado
pinch of sea salt
1tsp honey (optional, my peanut butter is honey flavored)
Blended and topped with sunflower seeds and walnuts
22g protein, 18g fat, 38g carbs
(there’s 27g carbs in a medium banana whaaaaaa)

If I had really crunched the numbers while making it, I probably would've added MCT Oil to increase the fat content. This smoothie kept me full for maybe an hour and a half but an added 14g of fat from 1 tbsp MCT oil may have bought me another hour and some increased mental focus.

This is not a super sweet smoothie so it’s perfect for someone who likes a nice balance of sugar and salt. Let me know if you try it!

Post a Comment